One man's voyage to a far off land... ...that millions of folks have seen already.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Day of School


Here we see my home in Japan. It's a very nice place. My first morning here presented me with the most American breakfast I could ever think of: Bacon and scrambled eggs with toast.

Anyway, my first day of school in Japan went very well. I went to class and at lunch I met my Nihon-go Partners who are two very nice girls. For lunch I had soba noodles in soup. Very yummy and only about $1.50. After we ate I was taken to the book store to buy some supplies.

Once class was over for the day, I met with my Nihon-go Partners who were to help me get my Alien Registration Card and a Commuter Pass for the train. They took me to a photo booth where I got picures for the card, and then we went downtown via train to the City Hall. I was happy to have the girls with me while I was filling out the papetwork, as they know enough English to help me communicate with the lady behind the counter. Also, in some blanks where Kanji was required, they filled them in for me, and very quickly, might I add.

Once we were done, we walked back to the station to catch a train to one of the larger stations where I could get a commuter pass. Fortunately I could get it on the Visa, so I didn't have to spend even more of my cash, which is starting to run kind of low. At this station one of my Patners had to go, since she had to get to her part-time job.

Eventually we got back to my house after getting kind of lost not far away. At least Mika-chan knows how to ask for directions. For supper I was given breaded chicken pieces, pork, melon, and soba noodes with soup. This time, however, the soup was served seperately, and cold. I mean COLD. I mean my host mother put ice cubes in the soup. the noodles were served on a small tray, and I put them from there into the broth, than ate them.

It was really very tasty. I ate more for supper than I had thus far. I was always so hot at meal imes that I had no appitite. This time I mentioned that t my host mother and she immediately turned on the AC. In minutes I had my appitite back. They always give me so much food, I'm beggining to wonder if I'll start to put on weight. =P

That evening I visited one of my classmates, Willy from Indonesia, whose host family is a 30 second jog from here. He and I plan on walking to and from school together so neither of us gets lost. We chatted for a while about various things before I went back home. His host family invited me back at any time. Everyone I've met in this country so far is very nice, or polite at least.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So is their place like a townhouse? Tall, slim, 2-3 levels? Like the roofs. Nice about the female Nihon-go partners! Good they can help you find the things you need to make you go! LOL Is the train crowded? Really nice you have a neighbor who is in your class! That's cool. Ice cubes in soup sounds, ummm, interesting.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you met some people already! How are classes so far?

Congratulations... you're officially an alien.